Terrorism Threat: Stay Vigilant
September 01, 2017
In response to recent events, we want to emphasise again the importance of vigilance and of reporting any concerns to the anti-terrorist hotline. The current UK threat level for international terrorism is: SEVERE. This means that a terrorist attack is highly likely.
If you see or hear anything that could be terrorist-related trust your instincts and call the anti-terrorist hotline on 0800 789 321.
Please refresh the knowledge of staff that have received either Project Griffin or Project Argus training.
Be proactive in challenging visitors, vehicles and anything out of place and consider the following options particularly around crowded places, night-time economy and iconic sites:
- Review patrol strategy (be unpredictable).
- Adopt high visibility clothing
- Brigade resources with neighbouring contracts/buildings
- Report any suspicious activity in a timely manner. Early reporting of suspected hostile reconnaissance is vital in combating terrorism
- Implement communication links with surrounding premises to pass on information about suspicious activity/behaviour
- Consider closing non-essential access and exit points
- Focus CCTV on all communal areas and vulnerable points
- Ensure CCTV is fit for purpose
We recommend that security operatives refresh themselves with how to be vigilant by watching the video ‘Personnel security – Eyes Wide Open’ by the Centre for the Protection for National Infrastructure (CPNI). The following resources are available:
Watch the video: Personnel Security – Eyes Wide Open
The National Counter Terrorism Security Office (NaCTSO) have launched guidance on ‘the National Stakeholder Menu of Tactical Options’. This includes a guidance document with advice for security managers of crowded places. Visit their website to find out about a number of operational and tactical options you may wish to consider.
Source : www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk